Research Degree Programmes – How to apply
The first step in applying for your research postgraduate is to try to identify a potential supervisor and project. You can find more information on each faculty here:
Lastly, if you’re looking for a funded postgraduate research position, check out the Graduate School webpage here for info on funded PhD positions. There may also be information available on funding on individual faculty pages.
How you apply for your PhD will depend on whether or not you have agreed on a research proposal with your proposed supervisor.
1. Applying if you have a project and supervisor
You’ll need to follow these steps:
- Fill in your Application Form. Please return it and your research proposal to the Graduate School, Foundation Building (F2-020) or email it to: email@example.com.
- Provide a detailed proposal of the research to be undertaken (on separate sheets if necessary). This should include sections on 1) Description of the topic including the aims of the research; 2) Objectives and/or hypotheses; 3) Research Methodology, including how the data will be collected; and 4) Bibliography and references.
- For Science & Engineering proposals please use the following headings: 1) Background; 2) Objectives; 3) Work to be done; 4) Methods to be used; 5) Novel aspects; 6) Scientific or Engineering theoretical issue(s) addressed; proposal to be a maximum of 2 pages.
- Please note that funded applicants (IRC, PRTLI, SFI...) should ensure that a Financial Aid form is completed, signed and submitted to the finance office.
- Further information on the schedule of fees for research postgraduate students is available from the fees office. If you have any questions, please get in touch with the Graduate School.
Bear in mind that if you’re using a browser-based PDF reader, it may not be fully compatible with the application form. If you’re using Adobe Reader, please ensure that it’s up to date. (You can check by going here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/)
2. Applying if you don’t have a potential supervisor
If you don’t yet have a potential supervisor, you’ll need to complete an Expression of Interest form and a research proposal.
The research proposal will help place you with the right supervisor. If you need more information on completing a research proposal, go to page 3 on the Expression of Interest Form.
Once you’ve completed your proposal and the Expression of Interest form, submit them in PDF format to the Graduate School, Foundation Building (F2-020) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Expression of Interest form and the proposal will then be sent to the relevant faculty and department who will endeavour to identify an appropriate supervisor for you.
If you need more information on applying, click here to read our comprehensive step-by-step guide.
Applications for postgraduate research are accepted on an ongoing basis. Please be sure to submit your certified results for all examinations mentioned on your application form and/or confirmation of the award of your qualification(s) along with your application.
International students can go here and here to learn more about applying to study at UL.
English Language Requirements
Candidates may be required to demonstrate their competence in the English language by interview.
In addition, candidates must either provide certified confirmation that they have completed a primary or a master’s degree through the medium of English or submit the official results of English proficiency tests as per the requirements specified by the University, who may consider English proficiency tests other than those listed as meeting the English language requirements for pursuing a higher degree at UL.
The University of Limerick is fully committed to the provision of equality of opportunity and is opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination.
University policies and procedures do not discriminate against individuals on grounds such as gender, marital or family status, sexual orientation, religious belief, age, disability, race or membership of the Traveller community.